16 April 2012
The Government of Canada is committed to working with like-minded nations to promote peace and security throughout the Americas
. To this end, Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced that Canada
have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on Defence Cooperation, which will further expand and enhance the defence relationship between the two countries. The announcement was made during the Prime Minister’s visit to Chile
on April 16, 2012.
The MOU announced today will provide a framework for the growing defence relationship between Canada and Chile, while laying a foundation for cooperation in areas such as defence policy, research and development, peace and humanitarian operations, and military education and training.
Defence-related activities with Chile have grown substantially over the past several years and are expected to expand further in the years ahead. Examples of defence cooperation between Canada and Chile include:
- Defence Policy Talks: Held for the first time in April 2012, these talks were instrumental in finalizing the MOU on Defence Cooperation.
- Naval Cooperation and Exchanges: Since 2008, the Royal Canadian Navy and the Chilean Navy have worked together through several training exercises, operations and personnel exchanges.
- Air Force Cooperation and Exchanges: Since 2008, the Royal Canadian Air Force and Chilean Air Force have cooperated in the areas of training and personnel exchanges.
- Army Cooperation: In 2011, members of the Canadian Armed Forces visited the Chilean Armoured School and laid the groundwork for future Army cooperation between the two countries.
- Chile’s Joint Centre for Peacekeeping Operations: Opened in 2002, the Chilean Joint Peacekeeping Operations Centre (CECOPAC) is exploring options for increasing training cooperation with Canada.
- Military Training and Cooperation Program: A member of the program since 1998, Chile’s participation in this program is on-going and reflects our strong defence ties.
This arrangement, which takes effect immediately, will deepen the excellent and multi-faceted relationship that our countries enjoy.