Prime Minister Stephen Harper today announced that a Royal Canadian Air Force CC-177 Globemaster III strategic airlifter has completed its first delivery of military equipment, donated by the Republic of Albania, to security forces in Iraq fighting the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).
Operation IMPACT is Canada’s contribution to international efforts to deliver military supplies, such as small arms and ammunition, to those fighting ISIL. Staged out of locations in the Mediterranean and Eastern Europe, the Canadian Air Task Force Iraq (CATFI) is working in concert with our Allies – including the United States and the United Kingdom – and the Government of Iraq to provide this critical aid.
Over one million Iraqis have been displaced by ISIL, which has been carrying out a murderous rampage in northern Iraq since early this year, seizing territory and systematically killing children, women and men. The delivery of these military supplies to the security forces protecting the displaced Iraqis and fighting ISIL will help improve the precarious security situation in the country. Left unchecked, ISIL is a threat not only to peace and security in the region, but to global security as well.
Canada also deployed a CC-130J Hercules transport aircraft to the region, and it will support this delivery effort.
- On August 15, 2014, Prime Minister Harper announced that a Royal Canadian Air Force CC-130J Hercules and a CC-177 Globemaster III had been deployed from Canadian Forces Base Trenton to assist in the delivery of critical military supplies from contributing allies to forces fighting ISIL.
- Canadian Joint Operations Command (CJOC) is responsible for anticipating, preparing and conducting operations such as this one, which has been named Operation IMPACT.
- The CAF will carry out this important international mission while continuing to meet other concurrent operational commitments.
- Canada has 17 CC-130J Hercules aircraft based out of 8 Wing Trenton. This versatile, state-of-the-art aircraft is used for a wide range of missions, including troop transport, tactical airlift (both palletized and vehicular cargo) and aircrew training.
- Canada has four CC-177 Globemaster III aircraft based out of 8 Wing Trenton. These aircraft are used for a variety of strategic and tactical missions, including the rapid delivery of troops and cargo anywhere in the world.
- Since the beginning of 2014, Canada has allocated over $21 million to respond to humanitarian needs in Iraq, of which over $11.8 million is for populations affected by civil unrest, and $9.6 million targeted at Syrian refugees. On June 2014, Iraq was added to the list of Canada’s development country partners.
“In coordination with our Allies, Canada is taking action with the Government of Iraq to counter ISIL’s barbaric activities and expansionist agenda which are further destabilizing the region and posing a very real threat to global security. The air support we are providing will ensure security forces on the ground have the weapons they need to defend innocent Iraqi civilians against these terrorists.” – Prime Minister Stephen Harper